In New Zealand
About New Zealand
New Zealand is an otherworldly, photogenic and friendly country offering visitors unbeatable changes for adventure and exploration. The rugged islands are home to dense native forests, mountains, beaches, glaciers, thermal regions and fiords that have been well-preserved by the environmentally-conscious government and culture.
What is an Au Pair?
An Au Pair is a ‘big sister’ or ‘brother’ who lives in New Zealand as an extended member of their Host Family. These young women/men provide child care services in exchange for room, board & monthly pocket money.
Most Au Pairs participate in the Au Pair Program for the valuable cultural experience of living with a Kiwi family and are treated more as a member of the family than as an employee.
Au Pair Requirements
- Be 18 -30 years old
- Have a valid driver’s license with an approved translation or an international driver’s license.
- Be eligible for, and meet all the requirements for the New Zealand Working Holiday Visa.
- Have childcare experience and references to support this.
- Be able to commit to 6-12 months of childcare documented in a placement agreement.
- Undergo a police check in both New Zealand and your country of origin.
- Have a High School Diploma.
- Speak English fluently.
- Be in good health. Only non-smokers are accepted.
- American citizenship.
- Unmarried & no kids of your own.
- No criminal record.
We are looking for open-minded, flexible, mature Au Pairs who have a positive attitude and like caring for children. Other experiences like First Aid training, music, dance, sports, arts & crafts, local Au Pairing or experience working at a pre-school are examples of skills that would contribute to your childcare abilities and will strengthen your application.
Highlights of the New Zealand Au Pair program
Commitment to Quality, Personal Service and Support
Carla’s Au Pairs makes a commitment to providing top quality personal service and support the entire time host families and Au Pairs are participating in the program. Participants receive personal attention and continuous support. You are cared for & helped every step of the way.
The staff in New Zealand is carefully trained with a focus on ensuring that host families and Au Pairs have the best experience possible. Aftercare is very important. Remember, you get what you pay for – quality service and exceptional support while abroad – something that makes Carla’s Au Pairs truly stand out above other agencies! Just ask our Au Pairs and they’ll agree!
Professional and Caring Staff
The staff in New Zealand is there for you if you have any questions or concerns. They have an emergency number available and will assist you in any questions related to your Au Pair year in New Zealand. The staff of Carla’s Au Pairs is also always accessible to you if you need anything. That is what makes us stand out – we believe in the personal approach & treating our Au pairs as individuals, each with their own special personality & needs. We make it our priority to stay in contact with you during your Au Pair year.
How the application process will work
- After you’ve filled in all the forms and have all your documents ready, you need to send your documents to your representing office. The sign-up fee for registration is then due. We will then process your documents and send it to our New Zealand partner.
- Once your file is in New Zealand, you will be contacted by families who wish to match with you. You will have telephonic or Skype interviews and can decide which family you’d like to go to. It can take a few weeks, even months to match.
- Once you’ve matched with your host family the placement fee is due. We will then help you with your visa (which can take a few weeks/months).
- After you’ve received your visa, you can arrange your flights to Auckland and set off to your Au Pair adventure in New Zealand!
Carla’s Au Pairs makes a commitment to providing top quality personal service and support the entire time host families and au pairs are participating in the program. Participants receive personal attention and continuous support. You are cared for & helped every step of the way. The staff in New Zealand is carefully trained with a focus on ensuring that host families and Au Pairs have the best experience possible. Aftercare is very important. Remember, you get what you pay for – quality service and exceptional support while abroad – something that makes Carla’s Au Pairs truly stand out above other agencies! Just ask our Au Pairs and they’ll agree!
If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Also, please enquire about the program costs involved.
Au Pair responsibilities
- Take the kids to school, play dates and pick them up afterwards.
- Prepare meals for the kids.
- Help kids with homework.
- Help prepare the kids for the day’s activities.
- Assist with general-related chores, such as doing laundry for the family, tidying the children’s bedrooms and vacuuming parts of the house.
- Work for a maximum of 25-45 hours a week.
What is included in the program
- 2-3-day ALL INCLUSIVE orientation programme in Auckland.
- FREE transportation to your host family from Auckland after your orientation is completed.
- Monthly in-home visits from our qualified ECE teachers for support and advice.
- Free fortnightly outings around Auckland.
- Professional employment contracts, detailed job descriptions and journals.
- Free professional development courses including NZQA approved child first aid courses.
- Access to our national Au Pair database.
- Monthly activity packs delivered to your home.
- Phone support 24 hours every day, 7 days a week.
- Re-matching service should the placement not work including free emergency accommodation.
- Every Au Pair is entitled to holidays under the Holidays Act 2008. This means for every 12 months you work, you get 4 weeks PAID leave/holidays on a pro rata basis. So, 6 months = 2 weeks, 9 months = 3 weeks and then anything in between is covered also.
- A very special Carla’s Au Pairs Pre-departure pack which includes useful & cool goodies such as a Pre-departure Manual (written by our experienced staff with the help of ex-Au Pairs), travel bag, travel document pouch, travel mirror, travel pillow, travel make-up bag, luggage tag & more!